Skip to main content

Status Quo & Joy ✨

Anyone who grew up watching High School Musical will instantly recognize the phrase "Status Quo."  There's no getting around it -- I am different from everyone I interact with on a daily basis.  I don't just mean in age either.  There are little nuances in my personality, quirky ways I execute tasks, and nerdy tendencies I display in conversations that make me who I am (just to name 3 of about a million or so).

As humans, we so often chase after being like everyone else.  But, why?  Believe me, I'm preaching to myself here too.  Why do we want to be like "such and such," who is/was great at "such and such?"  "Well that's an easy question," you might respond.  "It is because he or she is/was great at whatever he or she does/did!"  My rebuttal to that rebuttal is...if people just copy the greats who came before them, the world would never progress or get marginally better at anything AND history would repeat itself.

As a teacher, I will admit, when I began teaching roughly 6.5 years ago (on band staff) I used the "fake it 'til you make it" strategy.  I had NO CLUE if what I was saying made sense, or if I was teaching items in a logical order.  I simply copied what I observed working for successful people before me.  That being said, over the years I've concluded that learning to teach and learning to read and play music are almost EXACTLY like learning a language.

When we begin to speak our native tongue, we first begin by making noises or babbling as we attempt to copy what we have heard in terms of pitch from humans around us.  Next we start saying singular words.  "Mama," "Dada," or "No" are often the first words many of "apprentice humans" speak, because we copy what we hear the most around us.  Eventually we start to string words together into short sentences, and then longer ones, based off of what we've heard.  Shortly after, we are writing, forming sentences on paper, and then paragraphs.  Before you know it, we've almost stopped copying entirely and have begun writing EXACTLY what comes to mind.

My point is this:  why do we get so caught up in doing things one way because "such and such" did it?  I'm sure it was successful for them and their situation, and is probably a GREAT starting point to look at, but remember how different we all are.  Our mannerisms are different, our strengths are different, our weaknesses are different, our lives are different (and this list could go on and on).  It's a great idea to examine successful individuals and their tactics, but we CANNOT simply copy -- a computer can do that.

I refuse to conform to norms.  "You shouldn't worry about being good at that yet, you're a first-year teacher."  "No. I will be exceptional at it now."  No excuses.  I try to be a better me each and every day.  I will continue to refine every process at home, at work, and at leisure (I might even try to eat lunch 2% better).

This directly correlates the phrase that I've centered my life around:  Here We Grow.  I've only recently deciphered what its true meaning represents in my life:  Joy.

I attempt to find joy in EVERYTHING I do.

Gotta clean up?  Let's listen to music.
Gotta get up early?  Let's watch Good Mythical Morning at breakfast.
Gotta fold laundry?  Let's watch The Office for the third time while I fold.
Gotta do something super difficult?  Anything worth doing is never easy.

Here We Grow = Finding Joy

Break the status quo, find joy in all things, and keep growing.  Don't be afraid to try a new approach to an age-old problem.  If that new approach fails, try again.  It's never too early to be great at something!


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Fight On, Fighter" 🔥

As I write this post, I realize that this is the beginning of many new chapters in the journey of my life.  I just hopped off a plane from teaching my very first drum corps camp ever, my second semester of teaching band begins on Tuesday, and I turn a quarter of a century years young on Friday. All of that said, I thought it would be time to open up a new medium to share my thoughts with those who follow me.  By no means to do I feel like I'm the most interesting person in the world, but in the same way that I share vlogs, I feel that I also have words, stories, and longer deeper monologues to type out that could benefit future educators, those in music, or just individuals who need to be encouraged.  The topics contained here are those that I do not feel would best be suited for a vlog style video.  So... here we grow! I've been reading a lot more in 2019 than I have been in any of my adult years.  Currently, I'm reading a book that I think everyone could benefit f

Scars ⚡️

Sadness is a daunting subject to write about.  That's for sure.  Sadness is something we feel as we grow up; perhaps we lose our favorite toy growing up, or a pet that is near and dear to us runs away from home.  While we may weep for a season, it usually passes, and we grow, get stronger, and move on with life. But what about the moments that are so hurtful they leave scars?  The kind of life events that shape us forever; we might put up walls, or change our behavior drastically.  That's the kind of event I need to vaguely talk about today. I've eluded to it many times before in writing, but there's one particular event in my life that changed me, molded me, created a wound that took YEARS to heal into an ugly scar.  I want to preface talking about this by stating I am not perfect.  I never was, I never will be.  She wasn't either. I've only been truly, romantically, in love once in my life.  I was a senior in high school, and she was a freshman.  I

Simplify 🔤

As adults, we often overcomplicate parts of life.  We stress out over things that matter in the moment, but won't matter three months from now.  Is it awesome to get straight A's on your report card?  Yes, it is!  Is it the end of the world if you get one B?  No, it's not.  I think sometimes as adults we sit and focus on that one B and forget about the seven other A's on the page at the end of a school year. Today, as I panicked with only six days remaining until my very first Concert Assessment/MPA performance as a director, my brain was essentially the SpongeBob Clip you see below. I did NOT forget my name, but the vision of my brain on fire, trying to make everything perfect, came into my head today.  There are days I feel like floundering.  Today, I shared that clip, and the animated gif that goes along with it, with my students.  Most laughed, or liked the image, and/or understood what I was going through; however, one student decided to try to change my